Michael - Greensburg, Indiana

I am in my dorm room, sitting at my computer working on all of my long and boring homework. Right behind me, my roommate is doing the same thing. The only difference is that I don’t have a major so all my homework isn’t that hard, but his pre-vet major proves otherwise. While I work on writing a paper over myself, he is trying to figure out what seems like the mysteries of the universe in chemistry. After working for about 30 minutes, I suddenly hear papers flying off the desk, pencils flying across the room hitting the tile floor, and quite a few curse words coming from my roommate’s side of the room. I turn around to see if he fell out of his chair or if he was just going on a rant over something. When I turn around I see he is still in his chair and that he looks like a man about ready to snap. I was afraid what would happen if I just told him to clean up his mess, so I just asked what was bothering him. He then proceeded to talk for five minutes straight about how he has so much homework to do, how he doesn’t know how to do half of it, and how freaked out he is about what’s going to happen to his grades. After listening to him for what seemed like forever, I told him not to worry and go down the hall to a friend for help with his chemistry. He was so worried about everything that he couldn’t focus on what he needed to do. This is one reason I believe in not worrying about the small things in life.

During the first part of high school I worried all the time. Was I going to get done with all my homework? Was I going to be ready for the game on Friday? What did people think about me? Then during my junior year, a girl in my class died in a car accident. When this happened it really made me think about how quickly life can end. I finally realized that all that stuff, all those little things I used to worry about, didn’t really matter. What was going to happen if I didn’t get done with all my homework? Nothing, I might get in some trouble, it wasn’t the end of the world. So after I finally stopped worrying, things started falling into place. Instead of worrying about what homework I had to get done, I would just do the work. Instead of worrying about the game on Friday I would just get ready and go play. All I was doing when I worried was just causing more and more stress. Like the great Van Wilder once said “Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn’t get you anywhere.” That’s how I try and live now, not sweating the small things.