Willis - crown point, Indiana
Themes: carpe diem

Out On a Limb

I believe life is all about taking chances and taking risks. Whether it is trying something new or asking that special someone on a date, you should take chances in life. As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I’m not afraid of falling into my inkpot.”

As a child, I had always been shy around girls. To me, girls were more than just the opposite sex. Girls represented angels, perfection in its purest form. Something about girls kept me in awe and left me speechless. They were mysterious, much like the great mystery novel which keeps you puzzled until the end. Rachel and I had first met during elementary school and quickly became friends. As the years passed, our bond grew stronger. As we grew closer, I developed feelings for Rachel, but could never muster the courage to tell her how I felt. For years, the fear of rejection held me back from taking chances. As the end of senior year approached, I became frightened and nerve-wrecked because the end of senior year only meant one thing: prom was approaching, one of the biggest events in high school. When it came to school dances, I often could not muster the strength or will to ask the girl I liked to the dance. About two weeks before prom, I still had no date and considered asking Rachel. With a great deal of encouragement from my friends, I finally mustered enough courage and asked Rachel to the prom. Inside, my heart sank as seconds passed by. Finally, Rachel leaned over and softly whispered, “Yes.” At that moment in time, I felt like the luckiest guy in the world. Needless to say, Rachel and I had a spectacular time at prom. After much discussion, we decided against moving further than friendship. Despite this, I changed my outlook on life and began to take chances by experiencing new things following prom. During Boiler Gold Rush, Purdue’s freshman orientation program, I opened myself up to strangers whom I soon became friends with. By rushing, I participated in the Greek community, meeting even more individuals. At social gatherings, I talked to girls and sometimes even danced! By overcoming my fears, I began enjoying life itself.

Prom taught me one thing: if you never take that first step, you will never know what could have been. Try to attempt something, so you can say you tried at the very least. Leave no door unopened. Nothing in life is more unnerving than having a question you do not hold the answer to. So what if the experience ends up bad, it could have also been good. Either way, you can walk away knowing that you had tried and given it a shot.

So this I believe; life is all about taking chances and opening new doors because you never know what is on the other side. For me, the grass was greener on the other side.