Mitch - Lafayette, Indiana
Themes: Christianity

Throughout my life, I have learned many things. The rough road has made me a stronger person. Personal experiences have molded my life, and made me who I am today. I have a deep set of values that come along with being a believer in Jesus. These values are a map on how to live, and a blueprint to success. With that said, I believe that Christians have a responsibility not to be under the influence of anything that will make them disoriented, whether it’s alcohol or drugs.

In the bible, God has said many different times that using any substance that puts you under the influence, disqualifies you from God using you as a witness. For example, Titus 1:7-8 states that “Since an overseer is entrusted with God’s work, he must be blameless, not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined.” When we are sober, it is very easy to be all that was described in the Titus passage. However, when we are under the influence of any type of alcohol or drug, we are not the same. People are violent and dishonest. The exact opposite of what he wants us to be. People will see you at the bars and wonder why being a Christian is so different from not being one, simply because a lot of Christians get drunk.

Not only does being under the influence hurt your chances of witnessing to other people, it also has a major role in whether you get into heaven or not. In the book of Galatians, God states that “Envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just I as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” What he is saying is that people who routinely get drunk and do things that are not pure, have a small chance of getting into heaven. Getting drunk is not worth it to me, simply because I want to live my life for God, and make it into heaven. If getting drunk hurts my chances, then it’s not worth it.

Throughout my 18 years of living, I can’t tell you how many times my grandfather has told me the story about him getting saved when he was 40 years of age. Either watching a Cubs game, or playing golf with him, it is a story I never get tired of hearing. Through the first 40 years of his life, he did what he wanted, when he wanted. He often drank, to a point of no recollection. However, on a warm, windy August night, he accepted the Lord into his heart. He stopped drinking, and his life turned into the right direction. The line that will follow me forever is “I have lived on both sides of the fence, and I think I’ll stay on this side.”

I have lived and I have learned. I’m glad that God has set a foundation for me to follow, and by being sober, I can understand it at all times. As Christians, it’s time we step up to the plate and become role models to follow.