Quinn - Madison, Wisconsin

This I Believe- Taoism

The Tao. Most people would hear that word and ask something like “Is that Chinese?”, or simply ”What the hell?”. But as a Taoist, I am beginning to understand. I will not say that I have more than A rudimentary understanding of the Tao, or the way of things. That would the height of utter arrogance. But I believe that by gaining wisdom through the Tao, I can better myself and my way of life. This is my belief. Taoism.

Why is the Tao of importance? The Tao is the music of nature. The Tao is reality, dreams, all things untainted by forced human influence. Taoism is the path of utmost simplicity, a way to extract yourself from the complications of life and be happily joined with nature. It’s important because it can help create the purest form of the human mind.

Taoism was always here, always my belief, but until 5th grade I had no name to put to these beliefs. It took a good friend and an enlightening book to begin me on the path to the Tao. But I am still working on adhering my life to simplicity, in a world so fixated on complications.

It’s very difficult to try and apply Taoist principles to the current state of life, because our society has become so contrived, drifting steadily from the Tao. But I try. In situations requiring work, Taoist principles teach that the useful tree is cut down, but the useless goose is killed for food. So the trick to prosperity is to live in the middle, neither useful nor useless. Therefore I will never strive to be the most useful when doing a task, but I will not be slovenly or lazy either. Also, in school, my contempt for useless or unneeded rules is a direct application of Taoist principles, which state that with too many rules, especially unneeded one, all you get is confusion and misery.

So although it sometimes clashes with modern ideas, I believe in Taoism. It fits so perfectly with all that I withhold, I cannot deny it. Some would tell me that I cannot go far in life without a better outlook. To them I ask, who is better off, the tired but happy poor man, or the impulsive, stressed rich man? One of them has nothing to lose; the other everything to fear. I would rather be happy then rich any day.