Muir - Madison, Wisconsin
Themes: freedom

I believe in freedom. My belief in freedom comes a lot from wanting to do what I like. I don’t really like when people plan out everything for me, because then I might not be interested in it when it comes tome to do whatever it was. I’m 14 and I know that as a teenager you usually become more independent and I want to be. When I get into arguments about being able to do things, I usually become very fueled by the thought of not even having the chance to do what I want to.

When I was seven years old, my dad and I were grocery shopping and, like any seven-year-old, there was something that caught my eye. I picked it up and said, “Dad, I want this, can we get it?” His reply was, “Do you need it?” Of course, I said, “Yes,” he dragged out this conversation for about a half an hour until I understood that I only wanted it, I didn’t need it.

I know that this doesn’t sound like this has anything to do with freedom but it does. This conversation led me to be very precise with my word choice. Whenever I get into one of these freedom arguments, I will usually win because I can argue and use my words better. The problem is still that I am arguing with my parents, and all they say is, “Because I said so.”

A problem with me wanting freedom is that I usually take it. So when I have schoolwork I usually wait until the last minute to do it. Even so, I am still amazed that I get somewhat good grades and make the honor roll.

I also like freedom because the school I go to is very cynical in my opinion. I think that many people in our school aren’t very accepting of people who are themselves and act like themselves or dress like themselves, etc., etc. I would like to have the freedom to do what I want/like without being criticized.

I think that my strong belief in freedom also comes from my dad always telling me that I should do whatever I want to do when I grow up, as long as I am having fun. This is probably one of the things that I will remember for the rest of my life because they have guided me a lot and I think that having fun is something that you should do whenever you can.

I believe in freedom because I know that living in America we have a lot more freedoms that most countries. I think that a lot of people take their freedom for granted. People probably take their freedom for granted a lot because they grew up with it and it isn’t anything new to them so it doesn’t seem like freedom to them. I think that a lot of people also don’t realize how lucky they are to have all of those freedoms. If there is one thing that everybody in the United States needs to know is that they are very, very lucky to have all of these freedoms.