Henry - Madison, Wisconsin

I believe in friendship. Friends can help you with school whenever you need it, and they make almost everything in your life more enjoyable.

I grew up living next door to a couple of kids my age. Every day we would play basketball, hide and go seek, and any other game we could think of. They were really fun and nice, and eventually we became really great friends.

As we neared five, I began to wonder about school. I knew I would be going to Lowell, but what about my friends? This was on my mind for a while. Eventually I asked my dad where they would go. He told me that we would not be going to the same school. This was sad for me because they were my only good friends, and we couldn’t go to school together.

On the first day of school, I was worried because I didn’t know anybody at Lowell, apart from my brother. The first couple days were very hard. I had barely met any kids, and had made no friends yet. I eventually knew all the kids in my grade, and I even became friends with some of them. Now school was a lot more fun for me. Having friends in my class actually helped me focus more on learning, and learning was easier.

In 5th grade, we moved away from my house on Dunning Street and onto Yahara Place. I felt very separated from my other friends because I couldn’t go to school with them, and now we weren’t neighbors anymore. Even though I tried to hang out with them whenever I could, I felt like we spent almost no time together. My dad helped me spend more time with them, by having them over every Sunday. This helped us spend a lot more time together, and eventually it was like we hadn’t ever moved away.

I think having friends is one of the most essential things in life. They can provide us with help whenever we need it, and with entertainment whenever we want it, and that’s why I believe in friendship.