Jessica - West Lafayette, Indiana

This I Believe: It’s Okay to be Little Miss Sunshine

This I believe: I believe that everyone should be their own little ball of sunshine. Some people are earthy, some have their head in the clouds, others have stars in their eyes; in my opinion, the most important and influential heavenly body is the Sun. Besides fueling nearly all forms of life on Earth, the sun can do many marvelous things such as warm the air, bring light into a room, put a smile on your face, and bring a little color to your cheeks!

Everyday life can be difficult, but not many people want to walk around in a thunderstorm. I have experienced emotional turmoil in my life; a few years ago, some of my best friends suddenly became very cold and we hung out less and less. Because of my busy schedule, I had been pushed out of a once, close-knit group. I did cry, a lot; I felt very alone. Eventually, I learned more about myself and what makes me happy. In the end, I found new friends with similar schedules; we hit it off great and I know that they are my true friends. We all need a bit of help when it comes to improving a bad day; I doubt I would be the person I am today if it without all the love and support from my close friends and family. Whether you decide to improve your own lifestyle or brighten someone’s day, take a bit of time to be the sun and brighten someone’s world; all it takes is some love and happiness. A smile is one of a few things that can be understood in any language; a smile can travel around the world faster than a speeding bullet and perhaps even come back to you in a time when you need it the most. Not only can a smile change the world, but it can also brighten a room, a day, and a face. The most beautiful thing about a self-confident person is their hundred watt smile!

If I am only remembered for one thing, I hope to be remembered as a happy person who made a difference in someone’s life. I know that no one lives their lives like the Brady Bunch everyday will not be perfect, but we might as well make the most of what we’ve got; when life hands you lemons, you can always make some lemonade… all you need is a bit of sugar! You are not able to control all aspects of life, but you can decide if you are going to be in a good mood; having a bright, positive outlook on life can affect the way you handle the negative situations that life sometimes throws at you. Whether you are the embodiment of Mr. Sun or Little Miss Sunshine, you are my hero, you brighten my day, and I believe in you!