Stephanie - Vernon Hills, Illinois

A Joy to the World, Friendship

Friendship is one of the fondest things; I hold it dear to my heart. Without my friends I would not be the down to earth, patient person I am today. My friends are the people that I turn to in a time of need, or when I just want to have a good time. My true friends are the people who would drop anything if I needed them. They are my support system. I turn to them when I am away from my loved ones at home; or when they are unable to be there to comfort me and to spend time with. Being able to turn to my loyal friends makes every day a wonderful day.

When I imagine my friends, I think of the memories that we have made together. Friends are people who have your back, take care of you, someone that just knows when to listen or to give their advice. My friends are people who are precious gems that you can only find once in a lifetime. I think of my friends this way because I can honestly count on each and every true friend. They are from different backgrounds, different hometowns, and have different beliefs at times, but when we all come together, we have the time of our lives.

Loyalty is the core to a friendship; without the trust and feeling of being there for someone the foundation can come crumbling down. I turned to one my most loyal friends to confide in her when I felt like nothing was going my way. We have been through rough and good times together, but no matter what she has remained one of the closest people to me. I knew when I confided in her, she would never repeat a single word to anyone and she would listen intently to my worries. Being able to tell her how I felt was as if I dug myself out of a deep hole. With all the extra activities that I was embarking on, she pointed out how I was achieving all my goals. Hearing her tell me what she saw me doing, it came to me that I was encountering each situation with grace and poise. Having someone there for me felt as if I had a hundred pound weight off my shoulders. A friend like that is one in a million, and I will forever appreciate our friendship as we grow older.

Friends are like preciously wrapped presents; you want to keep them near to you because they make you so happy. I strongly believe in finding the people that you can trust who play a huge part in your life. Being able to grow as friends means a lot to a friendship because there are ups and downs, but when you are down you find out who your true friends really are. Keep the ones you cherish the most near to your heart and you will have a memorable life.