Mohga - Davie, Florida

We’re All on a Mission in a Bowl of Soup

What if we all lived in this world solely to benefit ourselves? What if we were all hermits living in solitude? Would the world go anywhere? Would we progress at all?

As a Muslim, I believe that everything I do in life serves a purpose. My ultimate goal is to please God. One might think this means all I do is pray and attend religious sermons, it’s not. Worshiping God goes beyond praying, it involves every action I do. Prayers and the stereotypical ideas of what religion consists of are only ways to improve myself. After developing my inner strength my ultimate goal is to use that strength to better the people around me and help humanity.

My whole life I have been taught to give. The environment I grew up in has taught me to love people and to love helping them in every way feasible which could include the silliest thing to the largest. Giving a helping hand has always given me a sense of satisfaction and even though ugly emotions may take over sometimes, I regret them and learn to control them. One night my mom made a dish that I loved and I had been asking her to make for a while. The next day when I came home from school, I opened the refrigerator hoping to get out that pot of left overs and serve myself the scrumptious traditional Egyptian dish. To my surprise the pot from the night before was reduced to a small plate. I went to my mom and asked her where it was. Apparently she had left me a plate and put the rest away for a friend that really liked the dish as well. I have to admit a bit of annoyance and greed came over me, why would she do that? I wanted it! The next day we went to visit a family friend in the hospital and on the way home I jokingly mentioned the food story again to my mom. She then simply said a few words that made me feel ashamed of ever feeling the smallest bit of greed, “Mohga, the best feeling in the world is giving.”

We live in a world that is full of poverty and corruption. What we see of the world we live in is not even a fraction of the troubles out there. We all have strengths and weaknesses, but the question is how do we use them? Do we just sit there on our recliners, eat, and watch CNN reporting another war, another murder, another kidnapping, another village struck by AIDS? Or do we utilize our strengths to do something about it?

If each person lives with a mission to better themselves and each other in order to work together and help fellow man, we can all achieve wonders. We are like ingredients and spices in a bowl of soup. A bowl of soup without ingredients or spices would be water; they give a bowl of soup its “Bam”. Spices and ingredients come in different varieties and each one has a mission of giving a special flavor that adds to the taste as a whole. Like the spices and ingredients in soup, each of us is different in our own way, and we each leave our mark on the world. We cannot control the fact that we are all a part of the world we live in. But we can control what mark we leave because each one of us has something to offer, it just depends how hard we try to give to humanity. Whether it’s helping poor kids in Africa, passing on useful knowledge, promoting peace, or even if it’s as small as giving a friend a favorite dish for dinner, we must always live with the mission to use our strengths to help mankind. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” ~Confucius.