Amy - Skowhegan, Maine
Themes: love

Love, Fun, and Bubblegum

Three things that I strongly believe in, in life, are love, fun, and bubblegum. The first two are understandable, but why the third you ask? Well, no particular reason, it’s good!

Love makes the world go ‘round, or so I hear. No one likes to feel unwanted, or unloved. It could possibly be one of the worst feelings in the world. No matter who it is, everyone needs love. Whether we’re talking being in love, or just being loved, it can make or break a person. I think the strongest source of love in a person’s life is their family. Families are together through thick and thin, sickness and health, etc. etc. etc. About 8 years ago now, we discovered that my mom had a serious medical condition. My dad was away on business, so it was just my sister and I, both very young at the time. We were scared not knowing what was happening or going to happen. Between the time this happened, and the time my dad got home, my mom, sister, and I had to rely on the love and compassion of family to help us through.

Let’s face it, without having fun, life would just be well, no fun! I know for me, fun consists of listening to music, or playing a game, or hanging out with friends. I’m sure everyone has their own ideas of what is fun and what is not, but lucky for me, I found a best friend who had the same ones as me! There was never a dull moment when we hung out. I don’t think I can remember a time when we weren’t in complete hysterics. Having fun is such a natural thing; it’s not something you have to try real hard to do. Sometimes people get so uptight and stressed out about one thing or another that they forget the importance of “letting loose”. Being able to joke around and have fun is what keeps people sane. So from now on, every once in a while, put away your books and work! Take a moment to look at funny old pictures, or call up a friend and reminisce about old times, you’d be surprised how much better you feel!

Ah, bubblegum. You may be thinking this is the weirdest thing to write about, but come on, can you honestly say you don’t enjoy blowing a big pink (or blue, purple, green, whatever color you prefer) bubble the size of your head?! I don’t think you can. For me, I don’t have ‘bubblegum’ all that much anymore; I’ve weaned myself more towards the minty freshness of Dentine Ice, or Trident White. But on that rare occasion I indulge in a piece of that good old ‘bubblicious’ I feel like a little kid again.

There are so many things that become important to a person as they grow older, but it is also important to never forget that little bubblegum chewing child inside you. You’d be surprised how well a little kid’s perspective on things can help you.