Wendy - Alpine, Utah
Themes: pleasure

I Believe I Can Fly

I love to fly. It’s has nothing to do with airplanes or man-made devises. It has nothing to do with drugs or artificial stimulants. It has to do with little, organic me.

It’s the feeling I get when I think and work on my dreams. It’s the feeling I get when I share a quiet moment with one of my children. It’s the feeling I get when I walk the foothills outside my home. It’s the feeling I get when I really let loose and sing. It’s the feeling of being grateful… present…free to become who I am.

Flying has been a theme running through my life. Just before my birth, my mother attended the play, Peter Pan, and hence, my name was chosen: Wendy. I was raised by a Peter Pan of sorts, my dad, who embodied eternal youth and joy. My one recurring dream was a flying dream. For years, I dreamt that I was struggling to fly. I finally got off the ground, only to have massive power lines loom up before me. Mile after mile, I would dodge up and under and through the lines that towered above me. Life has put plenty of power lines in my path and they’ve taught me a thing or two about flying.

You can’t fly if your heart is like a stone, weighed down by worry, hurt or anger. Peter Pan had it right when he said, “think lovely thoughts.”

You can’t fly in a storm. Flying takes focus and quiet. If the prevailing winds are blowing you from this activity to that meeting and all the while the iPods and cell phones are howling, all flights will be delayed. Slow down….be present….unplug your life….find the silences.

Flying takes balance. My greatest challenge has been to balance my need to grow and be creative, with my responsibilities. Over the years, I have found that if I focus too much on me and my dreams, the flight becomes meaningless. I’ve also found that when I don’t find some time to grow as a person, I loose the joy and can no longer get off the ground.

I had another flying dream shortly after my last child was born, but this one was different. This time I was harnessed to a bungee-like cord. I pushed off from the ground and soared upwards. Each time I hit the ground, I would bounce back up into the air. For the first time, because I was anchored to the ground, I was truly free to let loose and fly without fear of losing control or running into obstacles. It was the most glorious fun I ever had in a dream. I dreamt it once and I’ve never had a flying dream since. It was closure for me. I finally learned that I fly best with my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground.