Tiffany - Chicago, Illinois

Life is a Highway

I believe one day my mom will be able to drive to Chicago to see me. On her way, she’ll drive past the house where her dad unexpectedly died when she was 12, leaving my grandma with a house full of seven kids, and my mom full of questions and anger. She’ll be able to drive past the courthouse where she was awarded a divorce from my father, and an insulting $200 a month in child support, and where my father was never charged with being an alcoholic, abusive, deadbeat. I believe she’ll see all these places on her way, because I believe one day she’ll be able to drive to Chicago to see me. She’ll drive past the daycare her young children attended when she went back to college for a nursing degree she never got to use because of the car accident which left her back permanently injured and left her in chronic pain. On her way, she’ll drive past the debt collectors who are constantly hounding her about medical bills, and past the lawyer’s office, who got enough money to cover his paycheck but not enough to pay those bills. She’ll see all these places on her way, because I believe one day my mom will be able to drive to Chicago to see me. As she gets further down the road, she’ll pass the hospitals, which have become a second, third and fourth home to her since her emergency hysterectomy five years ago, which threw her into menopause and reeked havoc on her body. She’ll see the doctors who attempt to control her diabetes and her pain. She’ll drive past the liver specialist who just told her she’s in stage three of four liver failure from cirrhosis and who is monitoring her need for a transplant in the not so distant future. I believe she’ll see all these places, because I believe one day my mom will be able to drive to Chicago to see me. Finally, she’ll pass the hospital where she had her knee surgery the week of Thanksgiving, 2005, and which left her temporarily paralyzed from the waist down and how has her spending her 49th birthday in agonizing pain and unable to walk without a walker. I believe one day she’ll be able to lift her feet without using her hands, and will be able to leave behind the house which has become her prison since she’s been unable to drive, or even go to work. I believe one day she’ll be able to go back to work and receive more than the $700 per month in disability which one month she gets, and the next she doesn’t. Hopefully then she’ll be able to afford a car decent enough to make the trip, because I believe one day my mom will finally be able to drive to Chicago to see me IN Chicago.