Joseph - Seattle, Washington

I believe that video games can connect people

Sixty-nine percent of the United States plays video games. Thirty-five percent of parents in the United States also play video games. Of these parents, eighty percent say they play with their children and two thirds of them feel that playing video games brings their family closer together. Most players will play online very frequently. Therefore, it is not surprising that video games may bring people together. There are entire communities of people who play the same game and talk about it on the Internet. Also, there are many friends across the world that play online together.

One such example is the game Halo for the Apple computer. While visiting a friend’s house, I played Halo on his game system. I enjoyed it so much that I looked for its computer counterpart and the demo for the game. When I found it, I played for a week or two before noticing that some Internet games had the word “mod” in their title. I had heard of this term before, and I investigated the meaning of this word. “Modding” is the act of modifying game data to create a twist in the game-play to make games more fun.

This is how I started this hobby of “modding” the Halo Demo. This is how I found a large group of people with the same hobby. Later, I found another community of gamers devoted to what is called “Clan Warring”. This involves people joining teams called “clans” which play the game as a competition between the teams. Teams are ranked by scores in order to increase the competitiveness.

Now, months later, I have achieved a large amount of knowledge and have created a few mods. In the two large communities of “modding” and “clan warring”, roughly a total of 1500 gamers, I have spent much time building a rank, and have gotten many friends in the process.

I believe that playing video games can connect me to people who have the same interests as I do. I can talk to them through the Internet and we help each other when problems with modding occur. I believe that, even sitting in a room alone, as long as I have the ability to communicate with the modding community, I am not isolated from other people. In fact, I have more access to people all over the world than I would have otherwise. I have friends in England, Australia, and many locations in the United States. I believe that I gain knowledge from this, because I can do things I couldn’t normally do and have friends where I cant normally go. I believe in the connection of a video game.