Karen - Ocean City, New Jersey

THIS I BELIEVE

I believe that we all have a dancing Snoopy inside of us. Yes, the Snoopy from Charles Schulz’s Peanuts. Everyone has seen this dancing Snoopy in the comic strip or perhaps on a television program. To me, the dancing Snoopy is the ultimate expression of joy.

When things happen in our life that make us feel good, we should always be able to let our internal Snoopy dance. Just as real dogs can sense danger and ominous situations, I think our Snoopy knows when it must make itself scarce. I use this as my personal relationship barometer. If I am surrounding myself with people that do not allow my Snoopy to dance, whenever possible I seek out other company. I think we have all had occasions, some more than others, when we find we would love to dive in, take a bite, be more fully alive, but instead, we must remain stoic, and contain our emotions. This is the equivalent of having our Snoopy run and hide, when in fact, it should be dancing, letting our joyful emotions out.

For me personally, I became fully aware of my inner Snoop when I first met my husband. It was, and still is, so fulfilling to be in the company of someone who allows all my joys to burst free. During my previous relationships, I experienced happiness, but often felt constrained and not fully free to exhibit glee. There was always the question of my happiness causing embarrasssment of the other person. People could save lots of time and money on dating books and just begin to measure the quality of a relationship this way: does this person allow my Snoopy to dance?

All of our days are not filled with joy and delight, but when the big and little pleasures grace our day, we should honor this and let our Snoopys dance. These are the true treasures of our lives.