Preethi - Naperville, Illinois

I believe in free thought. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. I think the most important thing to have in today’s world is to be open minded, this way you can draw conclusions about topics without being influenced by society’s judgment. It teaches you to listen, learn, question and debate your surroundings.

The first time I actually grasped the concept of free thought was in middle school. During literature reading days we were required to read certain materials, this week: Tuesdays with Morrie. I was reading and came upon a meaningful quote, “The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves and you have to be strong enough to say if it doesn’t work don’t buy it”. Up until that point I was so wrapped up in trying to get the popular kids to like me that I would have done anything to be “cool”. But, something happened, I didn’t care what they thought or said anymore. This was BIG step!

In the following years I ran with that quote and it became my moral compass in finding out who I was as a person. I opened my mind to different views on issues and found best friends that were just as open minded as my self. And today I’m happy just being me: opinionated, creative, energetic, intelligent, lucky and crazy.

The point? Opening up your mind to new ideas and experiences is what free thought is all about. Through open expressions of creativity and intelligence you can become a true individual, perhaps even a revolutionary. I can’t think of a better way of expanding your horizons.