Rachel - Berrien Springs, Michigan

The Power of Dance

I believe in dancing. There is so much power that dance gives your and can also take it away. I also believe that you must always be prepared to prove yourself within dance.

I am 16 years old and I have been dancing for 14 years, so far, and plan on continuing with it. I was forced to start and then continued by choice. This shows that things can grow on you. Also you must be at least somewhat open-minded. I have studied various types of dance ranging from ballet, pointe, jazz, tap, hip hop, lyrical, modern and some ballroom. Each dance style is individualized but all must come from the heart. I t can only be as great as you make it. That is the power you have. I can use almost any movement and make it my own. I can make it tell a story, express and emotion, or just show technique. I can turn any day around with dance; I take whatever I’m feeling and use it.

In dance there is a constant struggle to improve. The want and the need to be the best. You must always be on your toes, literally, if you want to shine. You must prove yourself at all times. If you don’t then someone can come and snatch your spotlight away from you.

In the end it doesn’t matter if you can do 32 fouette turns into a quadruple pirouette. What matters is why I dance. What do I bring to the stage and am I performing and giving my whole heart and soul into it? Most importantly am I having fun? Dance is what I make it. It’s up to me to please myself, my teacher, and my audience. On stage I have the power to make them weep, laugh, reminise, gasp, applaud and more. As the final curtain drop I feel the surge of pride for all the accomplishments I have made and am excited to jump to the next show. Dance is a very powerful action. It is physical and emotional and can touch people deeply and keep their soul forever if they allow it to. Dance is eternal and will never leave my heart and will never leave this world.