Alan - Holbrook, New York

The power of words. I believe in the power of words, be they written or spoken. As a parent I have heard my children’s first words, and felt their incredible power. As a friend I have heard a loved one’s final words and been awed by their power. Finally, as a son, I will one day hear the final words of a parent and I will most certainly be stung by their power.

However, I believe just as strongly in the power of words I hear and say every day. The ‘right’ words can make me shudder no matter how often I hear or read them.

Other words can most certainly drive me to tears, again no matter how often I may encounter them. Words can also cause despair and harm no matter how frequently they are heard. Words filled with hate, contempt, and ignorance can be more powerful and destructive than the greatest weapons ever created. Conversely, those words filled with love, hope and compassion can raise the spirits higher than the highest clouds. There are words that include beauty and knowledge that have opened my eyes to the greatest gifts the world has to offer. Unfortunately many words often contain ignorance and shame and they have introduced me to horror and pain. I believe that words are man’s greatest tool as well as his most powerful weapon. I am forever haunted by the power of words.

I pray each and every day that I use them wisely and be ever wary of the power of words. I can only hope that others do the same.