Robert - Spring Lake Park, Minnesota

I believe we are all spirits who inhabit physical bodies. I’m not saying that out of some obscure religious conviction or faith, I’m saying it because I’ve been there. You see, for the past twenty-seven years, I’ve been studying and inducing out-of-body experiences, also known as OBEs. Hundreds of them. I’ve even written two books on the subject.

I’m not telling you this to sell books. In fact, the entire text of my first book has been available for free on my web site since 1996, just to prove I’m not “in it for the money.”

By now you’re probably questioning my sanity, and understandably so. I assure you, I’m quite sane. Psychologists have studied the OBE and compared it to numerous disorders such as schizophrenia, autoscopy and dissociative disorder. The fact is, OBEs happen mostly to normal, healthy, sane people of all ages, races and religions.

So what have I learned? I believe that since we’re all spirits, we’re all basically the same. It’s total nonsense to hate someone because of the color of their skin. That’s just their physical body, the vehicle they inhabit. It makes more sense to love people because they’re spirits just like you.

I also believe that we all came from the same place; the place of Spirit, and when we die, we’re all going back there again. We can’t stay on Earth forever, so all the rampant greed and materialism are also total nonsense. You can’t take it with you when you die, so the only thing of value in this life is what we can take out of it: our memories, experiences, emotions, the lessons we learn and our relationship with God. It makes more sense to abandon materialism for more spiritual pursuits.

I believe that all of the world’s religions have a common foundation. They’re based on the religious experiences of their founders; Jesus, Mohamed, Moses, Lao Tsu, the authors of the Bhagavad Gita and all the rest. They all had one thing in common: their connection with God.

I believe that everything else; the books, rituals, statues, prayers, candles, incense, are merely tools invented to bring us closer to God. They’re like bricks in the same building or rungs in the same ladder, all designed to help us have a relationship with God. So you see, it’s also nonsense for people to kill each other, fight wars and blow themselves up because of religious differences. To me, it makes more sense to share what we know about God and help each other grow spiritually.

Unfortunately, some of that religious dogma was created to control the masses, so that God remained under the jurisdiction of the religious authorities, the priests, rabbis, clerics and gurus. But since God can’t be hoarded, I believe that the only “true” religion is your own personal relationship with God and everyone should be free to use whatever tools they see fit to reach that end. For me, it’s the OBE.