Megan - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: peace

I really do believe in world peace. Not the kind that hopeful Ms. Connecticut and Ms. Wisconsin gush about, but the kind of global peace that deep down all know is feasible. From a very young age, I concluded that there was some good in every individual. From my math teachers to the bullies on the playground, I always could find some pleasant and generous trait about each person that made him or her more tolerable. As I entered college, my belief in peace was only strengthened by the amazingly diverse community in which I find myself.

From thousands of miles away to right in our own backyards, people kill each other over superficial differences: religion, skin color, even clothing. Yet everyday on campus I witness something remarkable: people of all races, religions, ethnicities, and beliefs sitting down together over coffee or pondering over tough calculus problems. Even the staunchest Republican campus leader will occasionally hold open the dorm entryway doors for the occasional Anti-Bush campaigner. There is no pretending that every incidence on campus is this amiable, but I find myself in awe everyday at an incident of this caliber. I am certain that these occurrences have deeply rooted my childhood faith and optimistic notions of future peace.

Largely, beliefs are based in faith with little reason or fact used in their defense. My faith in global peace is no different. I do not know why some people with differences can live harmoniously while others with those same differences cannot. The answer as to how this natural serenity is born is still a mystery. I just know that it is possible, and must be possible, for the survival and safety of future generations. My faith in this peace runs deep; so much that I cannot fathom a world in which peace is not the ultimate finish line.

If such an amazing collaboration of differences creates harmony in an academic setting, I am certain that it can occur in any and every setting on the planet. The human pursuit for similar goals in knowledge, science, health, and security are characteristics that unite us all. These uniting traits are the building blocks for commonality, leading to understanding.

However, faith is being certain of the unseen. As I watch the news each night hearing more and more of violence and death, I often flip open my homework, say a quick prayer, and rely on my faith. Understanding is approaching, of this I am certain. Until then, I will continue to believe…