Taylor - Westhampton, New York

I believe that people can pull together and make life full and complete, even if it isn’t perfect. If life was perfect there’d be no point in living.

In life, everyday is a drama because we are always trying to do too much with very little time. I have been very fortunate for the past 17 years. My life started out a bit rocky. When I was born my life wasn’t perfect and it still isn’t because there will always be challenges to overcome. I was 4 months premature, a baby of 1lb. 13oz. I had a clasped lung due to the fact that they weren’t developed. As machines kept me alive, my family prayed. Six months of hell for my family driving up to the hospital every day, getting parking tickets, taking my brother who was six at the time, to school, and still trying to get some sleep at night knowing people were trying to keep me alive.

After six months of coping with my sickness the doctors said I could finally go home. Doctors told my parents that only time would tell, but I just turned 17 and so far I’ve done well.

Even during those emotional months, my family never gave up hope for my survival. There have been many times when I’ve been frustrated but I can’t imagine what my family went through. I’ve come to realize that the only way to live life is to live it to the fullest. In spite of all the difficulties I’ve had to overcome, I will never give up my dream for success in life. It might never be perfect; it’s all about being strong enough to handle the everyday situations.

This ordeal has changed may others thoughts on the aspects of life. My family is responsible for my future success. My mom always says, “Life is too short and if you don’t have your health nothing else matters, even if you were the wealthiest person alive.”

So here I am, 17 years old, a son, brother, grandson, a nephew and much more too many other people I know. I tried many things, such as scuba diving and many other activities at hand; my family never stopped me even though they thought I was going to die trying. I know that’s the one thing they want me to do, is to live life to the fullest. Everyday is a challenge that has to be fought to make up life’s rewards, even though there is going to be problems along the way. This perfection we strive for is rare, but if you have gratitude toured the people you love, it will make it worth while. Life is like a story, make it a good one.