Meredithe - East Moriches, New York

Freedom to Love

I am a child whose mother is in an interracial marriage. I have heard so many wonderful stories about how happy they are but with every good story there is at least one bad story of racism and prejudice behind it. My mother is a very open-minded, quiet and loving person. My step father is fun to be around and can be loud at times but is still very opening minded and caring. From some of the horrible things I have witnessed and heard I sometimes think that they might just give up. I believe in freedom to love whom ever you choose to.

My mother and step father have been married for a year and a half but they have been together for about 8, maybe even 9 years. My step father is one of those people who will always have you laughing and happy no matter how bad your day was. When I heard that someone who lived on our street had a problem with my mother and step fathers’ marriage it made me upset. I wanted the man’s name and address because I wanted to give him a piece of my mind and tell him how wrong he was but I realized that everyone is free to have their own opinion’s and anything I say will not change that. My sister’s ex-boyfriend had been at a bar and was talking to a man who he had just met and they were speaking about where the man had lived and when he mentioned that my sister and I lived on the same road he asked if my step father was black. My sister’s ex asked why that mattered and the man got offended and pushed him so he fought back and punched the guy and the man was thrown out of the bar.

My mother is also discriminated against by people on the street when she and my step father are walking together or holding hands. Even when I have gone out to dinner with them I have witnessed people staring at us and giving judgmental looks. I once thought that there was something on my face because a woman kept staring at me. I guess she was trying to figure out if I was half black or not. Even people in my own family are racist and are against the love that my mother shares with my step father. These people are in my father’s side of my family so to my mother their opinion doesn’t matter as much and it doesn’t matter to me either, I am so happy for my mother and I always will believe that all that matters is that he is good to her and makes her happy and glow whenever he is around.

When I was younger I was taught that color was not what made the person who they are, it is who they chose to be or made of themselves. My mother has been a wonderful influence on me and so has my step father and I believe that a love like their’s could never be broken down or apart by anyone else’s judgment or beliefs. My mother has always told me to have my own opinions and don’t just follow the crowd. I believe that if you love the person it shouldn’t matter what race they are or what color their parents are. However a person chooses to live, if they choose to be prejudice or racist than that is how they choose to live, but I choose to live my life with an open mind and a heart open to new people no matter what race because I believe in freedom to love.