Stephanie Lato - Quogue, New York

I believe every life was created to be lived. More and more I see people throwing their young lives away to be part of a never ending conformity: elementary school, middle school, high school, college, grad school, work, marriage, kids, and a house in suburbia. After this comes the kids’ college payments, retirement, and death. It seems to be a never ending cycle for everyone these days and every day I see people heading towards that direction. But in following this tradition you have to ask yourself: is this what I want?

The most important thing a person can do is stick to their beliefs. If one does not accomplish this, one will never have complete control of his or her life. If one does not have control of his or her life, one will never say they have lived.

Never let anyone else decide your life for you. Follow your dreams no matter who disapproves. No one, not your parents, your friends, your teachers, can decide what you do in your life. That’s why it’s all up to you to fulfill your dreams and start a new tradition. Start a tradition in which everyone does what they feel is right, no matter how bad it may or may not turn out. I believe the most important thing in life is making your own decisions and accomplishing everything that you dream, so that one day you can actually live.

My life I decided will be full of excitement and joy. If I can find happiness I’ll take it and if I find excitement, I’ll follow it wherever it takes me. If it takes me to the Sahara Desert, I’ll follow it. If it takes me to the disappearing arctic, I’ll follow it. If it takes me to death, I’ll follow it, because a life is worth both living and dying for.