Kate - San Francisco, California

Why are you interested in working for Google, outside of this specific position? What is it about the company that attracts you to Google?

I’m actually not interested in working for Google. I see Google’s “perks” as anything but. Multiple cafeterias, laundry facilities, gyms, massages, doctors, language classes, haircuts, carwashes – they’re all a ruse, for slavery. Yes, slavery. Google provides everything so that employees never have to leave the office. Being chained to my desk isn’t the way I want to live my life, thank you.

I believe in nine-hour workdays. I believe experience tells you more about a person than his/her education. I believe in having a life outside of work.

The other day I was listening to KQED’s “Forum” radio program. The topic was lower marriage rates and being single. One of the guests, Sasha Cagen, author of “QuirkyAlone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics,” remarked that working 10-12 hours a day negatively drains our relationships.

What’s more important in life – relationships or work? I don’t know about you, but I’ve never once heard about a person say at the end of his/her life, ‘I wish I had worked more.’ No, people often lament how many hours they lost at the office when they could have been connecting with husbands, wives, children, and friends.

There’s a movie made in the 1950s called “The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit.” Gregory Peck plays the lead role. His character is takes a job as a public relations speechwriter at a big New York company, where he learns that the top executive is estranged from his wife and daughter on account of his constant workaholic absence. In the end Peck’s character turns down a high-pressure traveling position in order to work normal hours and spend quality time with his family.

I admire the Man in the Grey Flannel Suit. I see so many of my friends getting sucked into their jobs, working horribly long hours, chained to their desks, and I’m deeply saddened. Saddened at how they’re missing out on something that is the greatest perk of all – LIFE.