Emily - Weaverville, North Carolina

I believe in the right to believe in what you choose. The world has become a judgmental place, but does every person have to be so? The Bill of Rights gives us the right to believe and speak, as we so desire. Without that particular right I could not be contributing this essay. But throughout my thirteen years of living it has become apparent that many seem to have forgotten that a human being has the right to believe as she so chooses.

I can be chatting idly to a person in my class. Let’s make that a couple people. All is going well until someone brings up religion. A person in the group may believe something beside which is being express. When he or she tries to express their take on the subject someone may say something along the lines of, “You don’t believe in God! You’re going to go to Hell!” Now, what good does a statement such as the above accomplish? Nothing but hard feelings. A person is left feeling judged and unheard. It is the person right to believe what they wish to, and yet they are put down and sometimes even ridiculed because this is a predominately-Christian country. But this Christian country gives us the right to be Buddhist, Jewish, or even Pagan. This country gives us the right to not be affiliated with a religion or any sort.

Believing includes believing in yourself. I’m the first to admit that I have very big dreams. I believe that I have the power to accomplish many great things. I can be a writer, a singer, and the first woman president of the United States. I can be all these things. I know I can. But people have told me “pigs might fly” in regards to these dreams of mine. I have been told again and again that I will not achieve these dreams; that I oughtn’t to get my hopes up. Instead of warning me of the difficulty and rejection I will undoubtedly face by record companies, publishers, and the American people, they tell me I cannot achieve my highest goals. No person should ever tell another person that she can’t soar to the skies. Nor should the receiver of such nonsense listen to it. Never let the disbelieve of other bog you down in the mists. Boys, don’t think that because you are male that you must achieve a manly goal. If you want to be a ballerina, by all nature, be a ballerina! Girls, don’t feel that because people tell you that you must be feminine that you must be so. If you want to be a famous wrestler, then be one. If you want to be Chief Supreme Court Justice then honey, be Chief Supreme Court Justice. Most importantly believe you can get there.

Out of all dreams I have for this nation, this world, I dream for life with out one being judged on what they wear, what they believe, their race or gender. I don’t believe that having piercing and tattoos makes you stupid. I don’t believe that women can’t do a so-call man’s job. I don’t believe man can’t do a so-called woman’s job. It is all in the eye of the beholder, if you believe that you can and your neighbor believes that you can’t whose perception of your own capability is more accurate and useful to you. Yours or theirs? This I believe.