Steven - Palatine, Illinois

“God’s Music”

When I was a child, I tapped into my imagination effortlessly. It has become more of a chore over time. Nevertheless, I remember many hours of pure pleasure laying in tall grass on a hillside listening to “Scheherazade” in my head and watching the clouds until I became like them – feeling the wind high above the earth. I remember wistful times on my swing and Dvorak’s “New World Symphony” and then my brother’s playing of the “Polonaise” turned me into a just and powerful leader and Mendelsohn’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and Beethoven’s “Pastoral” were the background for catching fireflies until Rossini’s “William Tell Overture” came on QXR and I WAS “The Lone Ranger”, riding Silver – away.

I remember my mother being moved to tears during Beethoven’s 9th and Puccinni’s “Un Bel Di” and ever since, I cannot hear them without having the same reaction. I believe God inspired such music to provide a glimpse into heaven where my mother and brother are in the middle of their celestial concert. Because music like a relationship to God is intensely personal, I can only hope that everyone gets to experience such love for “God’s Music”.