Amy - Rochester, Vermont

A small stone when tossed into a pond has a ripple effect… we are (like the water of a pond) all connected. That stone touches the whole pond eventually.

In the theory called “The Six Degrees of Separation”, all of us are within six people of connecting to the rest of us. So from me to you a link can be drawn using six connections or under (in Vermont it is definitely under). I may not know you, but I know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone, who knows someone, who knows someone, who knows you. So… we are all connected!

And, believe it or not, the “Six Degrees” theory holds up in the cyber world as well: from any one web site you can connect to every other web site using six links or less! Therefore, we are all connected to everyone who can touch a computer keyboard even if we don’t see them face to face. Pondering these theories and experiencing my own cyber space interactions brings me to my own theory. I have created the theory of EBARMA ; (the karma of Ebay).

I love yard sales, thrift shops and even the on-line Ebay bargaining world. On Ebay I bid on a Vintage Waffle Iron and won the bid for $10.00. A few days later, the woman who “sold” it to me called me at home, “I sold you a waffle iron and I cannot afford to sell it for $10.00.”

“Uh…” I was caught off guard as my two-year old was hanging from my leg.

She continued, “I can’t. It is worth at least $60.00. I am new at this Ebay thing and I was told to start the asking price low. The iron is worth way more than $10.00. ” she said.

In short the conversation ended with her blaming the world and her saying she would not sell it to me. I responded somehow saying something about the fact that we had made an agreement. She ended up hanging up on me.

So I did what any mature (ha), calm, (ha), collected mind (ha) would do.

I told on her.

I went onto Ebay and gave her “negative feedback”. After you buy or sell something you are asked to give feedback. The choices are “negative”, “positive”, and “neutral”. I wished she had just followed through with what she said she was going to do.

But what have I done to my own EBARMA?

Perhaps I should have clicked “neutral”.

What do you think?

My Ebarma theory is that she and I are connected, so I need a favor from you. Would you tell someone to tell someone to tell someone to tell someone to tell someone to tell her I would be willing to buy that waffle iron for uh, let’s say $11.00… or do I hear $12.00? I would be willing to retract her “negative” feedback and give her a “neutral” in exchange for my husband making waffles on Sunday.