John - Norridgewock, Maine
Themes: setbacks

Nearly a year ago this winter I found my perception on life radically changed. I was a confused kid looking out a three by four foot reinforced cell window, wondering how events led to me being in a youth detention center. It started when I became tired of working for a paycheck that I would receive at the end of the week. I work every day just to get paid Friday and blow it by Sunday. So I finally got fed up with working and tried a different kind of job, a job that made me my own boss and gave me my own schedule. I decided to buy and distribute marijuana so I could always be making some quick cash. The money was coming in like with on rice, but soon enough my conscience became obsolete.

When I ended up in jail, I realized that I believe in making an honest living. There is something about working that can make or shape a person into a real man or woman. Maybe because you become stronger as a person since you are able to handle more responsibility in life. The more responsibility a person can handle the further he/she can go in life since you become more mature with every day that goes by. Plus, why would a person want to nothing with their lives but sleep and eat? At least a person who works feels good about their selves knowing that they are doing some productive each day. By going out to the working world and making that paper everyday. Some days you feel like you don’t want to work anymore and that’s expected, but if you keep on going back then you become mentally stronger. For me the best part of work is knowing that eventually I will get a paycheck and be able to go out and buy the stuff that I want. I am able to pay my own bill’s for a place to live and able to go out and have a good time. Knowing that I don’t have to try to scheme up some cash or commit crimes just to put gas in my car or put food in my stomach.

So this I believe is the way to a happier life-style knowing that you are getting by in the everyday world doing it the right way. You also gain important life skills like responsibility by managing your money and learning from older people you have been in your shoes. Work is the way to know you are doing everything right because with out it you might not be as happy in life and might not appreciate the little things in life. So no matter how bad of a day you might have at work, never give up or give in to the temptations of a easier job. Because at the end of a rough day you will always have the chance to make everything better with the beginning of a new day.