Alissa - 04976, Maine

I Believe in Dance

I believe in ballet shoes, tights, leotards and wearing little pink tutus. I believe in balancing on your toes just because it’s fun. I believe in dance.

To dance is to be out of yourself, bigger and with no worries of what’s going on around you. I know that dancing is a great was to relax. Every Thursday night I dance from 2:30 to 9:00. Yeah, some people may think that that’s a long time to dance, and it is, but when I’m dancing I don’t even notice the time, or what went wrong during the week in school, of the trouble I might be in with my parents for something I might have done; none of that crosses my mind. Once I walk into the dance studio I leave all of that emotional baggage at the door.

When I’m dancing all I can think about is the music and how all of the moves flow together. They go together so smoothly that I don’t want to break them up or stop the movements. Dancing is the one time where I don’t have to talk, all eyes are on me; the audience watches mem as I tell a story through my moves.

There is mo such thing as too much dance. Too much dance would be like saying that there’s too much oxygen in the air. Okay, too much oxygen could make a person get brain damage or die, but one can never dance too much, simply because it’s so fun and exciting.

The great thing about dancing is that there isn’t just one type of dance, so everyone can do it. Dancing allows people of all ages and all levels to express what they feel, and dancing can be done anywhere; in a studio with a teacher or choreographer, on Broadway in front of hundreds of people, or in a living room just fooling around with your friends.

Being able to dance with friends has had a lot to do with who I am today. I know that during the time when my mom was sick, my dance friends were always there to help cheer me up. One in particular was my friend Morganne. She travels from Troy to come dance with us. I don’t know what I would have done without her through the past few years, and I realized this most of all when she was unable to dance last year after tearing her ACL.

I believe in dance because it has given me friends and the confidence to do whatever I want, and that is the best feeling in the world.