Ashley - Washington

I live my life one day at a time. I’m an individual and I like to live outside of the box. There are people, things and events that influence my decisions in life. I believe in the rights that I have as an American.

I’ve had the chance to look over these rights very closely in my Civics class in High School. I’ll admit, I was never really interested in all the subjects taught in the class but now that I have the materials at hand, I’m eager to learn more and more each day. I am fascinated by how much work was put into the making of America. Like the Constitution for example; many men came together and put some serious thought into what they were writing down and I bet they never expected it to have the impact it has on America.

I’m proud to be an American and I have the right to say that thanks to a little document called the Bill of Rights. I often wonder what I’d be like to not have things like freedom of speech, right to a fair trial, or the right to vote for your nation’s representatives. Everyday someone in this country takes those rights for granite. I couldn’t imagine not being able to say what I want to say, that’s what’s been shaping me as a person for the last 18 years of my life. One of the most important people in history practiced that right just a few years ago. Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the most influential people in the world. His words helped change many things and impacted several thousands of lives and it still continues to do so. He was in individual just like I am and so is everyone else who helped shape America into what it is now.