Andrew - Ann Arbor, Michigan

I believe in being nice to nerds. Being nice doesn’t harm you in any way, and I believe that being nice to them helps not only helps them, it helps me too. I don’t see any reason to be mean to them. I remember a time when all of us would have been considered a nerd…

Remember 6th grade? You might not remember it, but I do. I was a lot smaller than i am now, and back then the only thing that mattered to me was getting good grades in school. I didn’t care about how I looked, I didn’t have many friends, and when I went home, all I did was do homework and play video games. I would’ve been considered a nerd back then, and to some people I still am. However, back then in 6th grade, there wasn’t the discrimination and prejudice there is now. There weren’t set social groups, and none of us cared about these things.

7th grade was when things started changing. I started hanging around with specific groups of people, I started caring in how I looked. People were started to develop social groups, and as a result, the nerds started to stand out. 7th grade was when I started to ignore them. I was starting to become who I am today. This continued on into 8th grade, where I had my group of friends, and social group. This was when they got harassed, bullied, and ignored.

Now, I hang with the same groups of friends I knew in 8th grade. Now, I care about how i look, and how I dress. Things have changed since 6th grade. There are now different social groups. People who don’t fit into any of these groups are considered to be outcasts and people think of them as nerds, simply because they dress different and are smarter than we are. These are the people who are constantly made fun of, bullied, and ignored. Just having one other person treating them as their equal, can make a huge difference. In 8th grade, I really disliked hanging around these people. I didn’t treat them too well, I admit that. I later realized that being mean to them had no benefit whatsoever. I realized that they are bad people, they aren’t even too different from me or you. Of course, there are a couple people who are annoying and get on people’s nerves, but for the most part, they are nice people.

I learned that if you treat them well, they will treat you the same way you treat them. They will help you if you need help on something, such as homework. They will help you if you don’t understand something. They will treat you equally. It makes me feel good to be nice to them. There are still many people that treat them badly, so it feels good to know that there is at least one person who is nice to them.

In English, we read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I realized that in a way, being mean to nerds is in a way like killing a mockingbird. They don’t do anything to cause you harm in any way, so there is no reason for you to harm them. Also, like Bill Gates said, “Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.” He is right. It makes no sense to be mean to them now, when you have to be nice to them later when you work for one.

Being nice to nerds won’t cause you any harm. The only thing that can happen from being nice to a nerd is good. It helps you, and in a way, it helps them too. People have no reason to treat them differently just because they dress different, there was a time when you were like that too. I believe that people should treat them as equals. I believe in being nice to nerds.