Louise - Dallas, Texas

I believe that the priorities of a younger person in a healthy society change as a person matures and enters the second half of life. When someone’s starting out, it’s natural to work towards obtaining a decent home and other material comforts. Once that is achieved, we need new and more spiritually motivated goals.

The majority of us are blessed with good health in our youth. We energetically pursue material goals. Once that is achieved, it has not been part of our cultural teachings to propose other non-material goals. As a result, many of us get caught up in a trap of buying more expensive or simply more elaborate gadgets and toys that are meaningless and wasteful. As one bumper sticker put it,”Insatiable is unsustainable.”

Instead, our culture could investigate and pursue the vast and fascinating field of self-healing, especially before the body begins to falter and reveal physical symptoms. By loosening areas of chronic tension in the body, more life force reaches each area and organ, helping to insure sound functioning everywhere. Chronic muscle spasm often blocks the vital force from reaching all areas. In youth, we often do not need to concern ourselves with this aspect of health, but as we stiffen with age, we must learn what to do to keep ourselves flexible and relaxed. Physical exercise, gentle chiropractic care, massage, introspection and meditation are all examples of self care aimed at healing the mind and body.

Emotional difficulties are also buried and stored in these chronically tight areas. As we loosen, we may well re-experience repressed emotions that were unexpressed in youth. By listening inwardly and being gentle with ourselves, we can resolve and release stored pain, fear, anger, and grief and live more calmly and peacefully. When our pasts are resolved, we can live in the present and not repeat old, worn out patterns of unconscious behavior. We can embrace the goal of living from our own center of uniqueness and love. I believe that accepting this invisible goal will lead to a healthier future for our own bodies and our country as a whole.