Ram - Loiusville, Kentucky
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the motto “Just Do It”. These simple words may mean different things to different people, but to me they convey the profound meaning of selfless action or the practice of performing actions without desiring or fearing the consequences. This basic principle has been the guiding light that has shaped my personal and professional life so far and will continue to do so for the rest of my life.

As a child, I can remember the first time when my father introduced me to this ancient but unique concept: I was preparing for an examination and was worried about passing it, when my father came up to me and gave me, what I consider to be the best piece of advice in my life. He said “Prepare for your exam and do your best, do not think or worry about the result. Doing your best is in your hands, the result of the exam is not, so concentrate on the exam and not on the result”. At that time, I was skeptical about the idea, which seemed self-defeating; I mean, if you are not interested in the result, why even bother doing anything. I tried it nevertheless, and it worked like magic. Since then, I have applied the same principle to every aspect of my life, from simple things like playing in a game to the most complex life changing situations with great success. Professionally, it has helped me become a better Physician, and personally a better human being. It has given me the ability to enjoy the victories in my life as they come, at the same time giving me the innate strength and fortitude to accept the defeats.

Being indifferent to the results of your actions is difficult, especially in today’s goal- oriented and target-achieving world, but practicing this has given me an inner peace of mind and equanimity. I have achieved a tranquil state of mind in which neither the crests of victory nor the troughs of defeat ruffle my feathers. This principle of selfless action or Karma may not work for everyone, but it sure does for me, so the other day when my 5year old daughter asked me if she could take Ballet classes, I simply said “just do it”.