Ashley - Duluth, Minnesota

I remember the moment I realized how important hugs actually are. I was sitting in my freshman dorm room, watching a sad movie on the television. Then a thought struck me, “Wow, I haven’t been hugged in awhile – not really.” So I called my dad up to tell him that I loved him, and that I missed his hugs. I hadn’t realized how often I received them when I was back at home. Since then, I’ve made a conscious effort to hug my friends on a regular basis, as well as my family. I believe not only that hugs are amazing, but that everyone should be hugged on a regular basis.

One of the greatest things about hugs is that there are so many different types. There is the “I love you” hug, the “I miss you” hug, the “I haven’t seen you in forever! Where’ve you been?!” hug, the “I don’t think we’ve hugged before, and this is kind of awkward, but I’m going to hug you anyway” hug, and of course, the “flying, spinning round and round, hug you so tight you can’t breathe” hug. I think it is simply fantastic how many different types of hugs there are, and so many occasions to hug for! Hugs are great for family gatherings, major life events, such as weddings; achievements such as high school graduation or winning that important soccer game, romance, loss of loved ones, and support.

Hugs are great for almost every occasion, and even better? They are completely free! And they can be given at almost any time, anywhere, without warning! You can hug on the street, in a restaurant, in school, at the dinner table, during a scary movie, or a walk in the park. Hugs are amazing. They are so versatile, and they make you feel so darn good inside. So as I said before, I believe in hugging on a regular basis. If you have not been hugged in a while, grab a friend or family member, or even a complete stranger if necessary, and pull them into a nice, long hug. Trust me, it’s worth it.