Matthew - Seattle, Washington

Secret Present

I believe in making fun a part of everyday.

When I say fun, I’m talking about that warm, feeling that you get when you do something that makes another person laugh or smile. I guess I’m talking about kindness almost. But a type of kindness that ends up with you feeling nice about yourself. The reason that this belief is important to me is because of another belief that I have, which is Karma.

One of the easiest examples I can conjure that relates to most people is the holiday season. It always brings back memories of the family sitting around, just relaxing and enjoying the moment. Or when people will give out gifts, but notice how nice it is to know that you just made someone’s day. And that is all the thanks you need.

It was the holidays recently, and I knew that my mom and dad were pensive about doing something big this year for Christmas, so, I decided, “Hey why not do that also.” So I started to plan my present for my brother. I came to the conclusion that I was going to give him a half-eaten food item with a dollar taped on it and say, “Sorry I got hungry, but you can buy the other half back at the store.” But then after we had opened all of our presents pull a present seemingly out of nowhere and hand it over.

As the holidays drew nearer I fell into a situation where I owed my brother twenty-five dollars. So a few days before Christmas morning I found a Wheat Thins box in my kitchen and ate some. Then I stuffed twenty-five ones into the box, wrapped it and put it under the tree. But then secretly I bought “Guitar Hero II” a video game that my brother wanted but didn’t want to fork over the cash for. So, I hid that in my closet, and on Christmas Eve when my aunt, uncle and cousins came over for dinner, we each got to open a present. When he opened my box of Wheat Thins, he stared at it hotly, then opened it and took the twenty-five ones out.

I waited a few minutes and he went downstairs to put away his money while I grabbed his real present from my closet and put it where he had been sitting. When he came back upstairs he didn’t notice the nicely wrapped box at first, but went and sat on the couch. It took some hints but he finally noticed the box.

I saw the look of joy and happiness in his eyes as he tore off the paper, and then ran downstairs to go hook it up and try it out.

At the beginning of this paper I mentioned that I was talking about a specific kind of fun, and I realize what type of fun that is. It’s the sort of fun that is that of being nice and giving and kind to another.