Addie - harrah, Washington

In the United States, there was a time in our history when women were treated like 2nd class citizens. During that time women didn’t have the rights we enjoy today. Many women have paved the way for future generations like mine. I am able to go to school and make a better future for myself.

As a young eighteen-year-old woman, there are a lot of things I can do that women couldn’t do in earlier generations. When I turned eighteen many doors opened for me. I am able to live independently and set goals for myself that women were not able to in the past. I was also able to vote for the school levy. After my parent’s divorce, I was able to choose which parent to live with. Susan B Anthony help made it possible for women to raise their children without depending on a man. She also fought for allowing women to keep their own wages. When I got my very first job I was able to keep everything I worked for. Before she fought for women’s rights and freedom, women were not able to keep anything they earned. I believe that women should have all the rights that men do. I also believe that all men and women should be equal.

I believe that if you believe in something, you should stand up for what you believe in. When my parent first split up, people would tell my mother you can’t make it without him. Try to work things out. But I believe in my mom, I knew we could get through tough it. So we fought through that tough time and found out that we were right. We didn’t need him. The person that provided an example to me for standing up for what you believe in was Rosa Parks. When Rosa Parks didn’t give up her seat to a white person, she set an example to all women to stand up for what you believe in. She made myself feel strong as well and everyone else who stood up for themselves.

Much like these two women, I believe in women rights and freedom. I believe that women, men, and all races should be treated equally. There should never be slavery and discrimination of women, again.