Matthew - North Salt Lake, Utah

This I believe.

When I was a child, I remember my father saying that he was happy that he didn’t have to grow up in the kind of world that I was growing up in. Things were easier for his generation. There were no drugs or gangs or any of the problems I had to go through back in the “good old days”.

Now that I am an adult and I look at the world my children are growing up in, I can understand exactly what he was talking about. With all of the technology and all of the danger constantly bombarding our youth today, the only thing that gives me any hope for this next generation is the same thing my father shared with me that helped me get through my hard times: Butter.

Some of my earliest and most fond memories are of me and my family sitting around spreading butter on stuff. Toast, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, hot dinner rolls, you name it – we spread butter on it. I remember when I was in Cub Scouts and my dad and I spread butter on my first Pinewood Derby car. I remember the time I came home after dropping off Stacy Peacock at her house on prom night. My dad was waiting up for me. He saw the tears in my eyes and before I could even tell him what was wrong, he was spreading butter on my face.

I love my dad for the butter he gave me and I hope that I can give that same gift to my children. It’s a hard world to live in these days, but if we just remember to believe in butter, it know that it can give us the strength to make it through anything.