Ann - Indianapolis, Indiana

I believe in democracy. Not the idyllic, paradise of patriotic songs, but the messy chaos of real life. Democracy breeds discussion, argument and contempt because of its foundation of choice….free will. Terrorists do not need to attack our country to defeat it. Every time citizens give up a basic freedom for protection from danger, real or imagined, they are giving up what makes us a democracy. Every time a court rules that citizens are not responsible for their choices or actions, they are saying that people are not intelligent or mature enough to control ourselves and need our government to make those decisions for us. When the government makes broad, general laws that restrict the rights of the populace in order to contain a few individuals or secure a measure of safety….our country is a democracy no longer and the terrorists have already won the war. I have hope that America will realize the real danger to democracy in itself and take the steps necessary to correct it because I am still able to state what I believe.