Erik - Gunnison, Colorado

This I Believe Essay

Honor, Duty, Country

I believe all Americans should serve their country. It doesn’t matter how one’s service is performed as long as they perform it, and perform it right. For all of my life my country has bestowed within me the greatest patriotism.

I’m a fifteen-year-old kid, a sophomore going to Gunnison High School. And I live in Gunnison Colorado, a small midwest town surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. Patriotism is important because it involves three key ingredients of a strong, well-developed country: protection, valuing citizens, and duty.

Undoubtedly, the first element of patriotism is to protect the country. For example on 9/11 the United States of America was attacked by well-determined terrorists. On that day America was theoretically attacked with our eyes closed. In a sense we were like a boxer caught with our gloves down meeting bloody punch after bloody punch. My point is when a country is unwittingly attacked and pummeled, its citizens tend to be flooded with patriotism to protect their country. And by protecting our country all Americans will need to come together and bind as one. After America has come together the people of the U.S. can stand up against evil and beat them down to protect our nation.

Another element of patriotism is to value our country’s citizens. Valuing our citizens means every man or woman, no matter the race. Needs to be displayed in a sense that everyone pitches in to make a strong and patriotic country. The U.S. government also needs to display affection towards American citizens, showing that everyone is important in making our country stronger and more patriotic.

In contrast, the third element of patriotism, duty, is just as important as the two elements before it. Duty is a word that to me stands out, and means a moral and ethical obligation. In this case to serve your country, this single word brings together the meaning and importance of commitment. And it shows what kind of character you are, by pulling honesty, intelligence, and integrity from within your heart. To ultimately show how devoted you are, to your country.

To sum it up, all of the elements of patriotism; protection, valuing citizens, and obtaining duty to serve you country are all benefits for life, and also standards to live by in order to serve such an awesome country as America. These few words are the least I can do to show patriotism, passion and affection towards my country.