No one should be judged only by appearance and reputation

Anna - Qingdao, China

My favorite fairy tale is “The Beauty and the Beast”. In this story, Bell fell in love with the beast in spite of his intimidating looks. Moreover, Bell also helped the beast to realize the generosity and sweetness in him, and this is the reason I love it. Just like Bell has shown, I believe that the physical appearance and reputation should not be the only standards of judging other people.

In recent society, the prejudice already has deeply rooted in people’s mind. Almost everything, including TV stars, communications, and even career interviews, are influenced by physical features. In schools, students with peculiar looks are more likely to be bullied, furthermore in companies, workers with better backings are more likely to be promoted. This is indeed the reality of our world where appearance and reputation take precedence over ability and personality. In fact, I used to be one of those people who look on things with jaundiced eyes not until when I was 14 years old.

In our school, there was a girl who we called as a “geek”. She was ugly, and she always talked in a peculiar accent. Everybody in school viewed her as if she was an alien from outer space, and we abhorred her as if her ugliness itself emitted an offensive odor. One day, one boy cried out that his toy had been stolen in class by somebody. Without any thinking, everyone, including me, thought the ugly girl as the only suspect. Finally, we began to blame her for her misbehavior and asked her to apologize. She shouted and rushed out the classroom as she cried. Next day, our homeroom teacher told us that ugly girl moved the school because she could not stand other people bullying her. I felt so guilty about my childish behavior, and I promised myself not to judge the book by its cover.

No one should be judged only by appearance and reputation, and this is, what I believe.