Travis - Duluth, Minnesota

I believe that technology is going to destroy civilization.

With all of the modern advancements in society, its hard not to get caught up in what’s new and what’s popular. Ever since the innovation of the computer, it feels as if there are more inventions each year than in the past century. Did you ever think that you would see the day when blind people could see objects by taste? It seems that the world is becoming more like a science fiction movie every day.

The advancements in medicine alone are miracles. We now have cures to previously thought incurable diseases. Cancer, which was once considered a death sentence, is becoming more treatable every year. With all of the improvement to healthcare, we are becoming less attached to actual human treatment. It wouldn’t surprise me if in less than 50 years most surgeries will be completely performed by computers and robots. I believe that this dependence to technology, although beneficial right now, will cause major problems down the road.

The first problem is that with more jobs being performed by computers, many people are losing their careers and have no place to go. Also, what would happen if this technology we are so dependent on would suddenly crash or malfunction? What would happen if every computer in the world suddenly got a virus? Imagine what would happen if there was a countrywide blackout. Would our country be able to recover and sustain itself without technology anymore? As our world becomes more technologically advanced, the risk for another depression grows substantially.

Military advancements also scare the hell out of me. It’s been over 60 years since the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with the atomic bomb. That’s also over 60 years of advancement in weaponry for countries all over the world. North Korea, for example, is now developing the very same nuclear warheads that we used in Japan. As political and religious beliefs continue to create conflict around the world, another world war is inevitable; a war that Albert Einstein described as, “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”