Rebecca - lakebay, Washington

This I believe that our world should be based on a branch of hope.

The world is full of so much negativity and despair, that it can be so overwhelming to think that we can still have a better way of life. Just when you think things couldn’t get worse- they do. I remember myself saying those words over and over. Why me? Why now? I remember it all happened when my Grandmother got sick. My grandfather had just retried and moved out to Gig Harbor. He wanted to take care of his wife. He wanted to love her and hold her. Take all her pain away. He thought this was the place. Here they would grow old and die together. But years went by and Grandma didn’t get better she got worse. Day by day it seemed like it was one thing after another. My family was slowly falling apart. My Grandmother was sick, my dad’s addiction grew, his love for the bottle broke his love for my mother, my Aunt finalized her divorce and there I was stuck in the middle. It didn’t seem like it could get any worse. But then it did. My cousin was playing around with his friends and had a horrible accident. He had been burnt with fire on more then 80% of his body. This was just the cherry on top. Weeks later my Grandmothers condition worsened and the Lord took her.

Now my mother was left without her best friend and didn’t have her sister there because my cousin was now hurt. All these awful events had taken place and it wasn’t fair. When everyone thought it was the end- they somehow continued to fight with the chance that there was still hope. After they had lost it all and then some- they still saw hope.

Because of everything my family went through, they showed me that no matter how bad things can get you still must have hope. Hope for the best no matter what the outcomes have been. That’s how I believe the world should work. We should hope for the best and try to do our best to work towards that. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion and the freedom to have a fair and just system are all great and honorable things. But the self-determination to have hope will always be my number one.