Grace - Tempe, Arizona

My friends are the most important people in my world. I love them all so much, and they mean everything to me…I believe that friends are crucial to someone’s life.

Whenever I have a fight with my mom or dad, I come to school and scream, “They drive me insane!” My friends immediately tell me that their parents do too, and I feel better, reassured that I’m not the only one with annoying parents. Then when I come home and have a boost in self confidence, I talk it out with them. We (almost always!) fix it and end up making up.

Sometimes I feel like I have no sense of worth. I drag myself to friends; they do the rest. They say stuff like, “Who cares if you’re overweight? You’re really cool!” or “You are not stupid. You’re smart, talented, and really funny.” It makes me lift my chin up and toss away the bad feelings. I smile and say, “You know what? You are so right!”

Even when I’m acting crazy, bouncing off the walls and making a fool of myself, my friends let me be me, and then they whack me back to Earth. But more than often, they join me. We enjoy being silly and having people tell us we’re weird. It just proves even more that we’re having fun.

And on the flip side- I’m there for them too. When a friend comes wailing to me about her ‘B’ in P.E, I tell her she’s awesome and offer a hug. I’ve found that people love having friends to vent with. They’re looking for a listener; who better than a friend?

And what about the people who seem to have no friends? What must it be like for them? I’ve been very close to that before, and let me tell those who have many friends- it’s horrible. You suddenly seem to lose your self esteem, confidence, and worth. Some people think you don’t need friends for you to have these, and they may be right. I personally don’t believe them. A good friend is an unlimited source. (That’s the selfish part of having a friend :))

Friends are so important in someone’s life. It doesn’t even matter how many you have; two or even one really good friend is enough for a lifetime. They are everything to me. This I believe.