Julia - Newbury, New Hampshire

I believe in running barefoot through summer grass, and the feel of each slender blade as it touches your heel. I believe in the silent elegance of the morning of the first snowfall. I believe in late nights, laughing with friends so hard, until the pressure on your stomach makes you crumble in pain. To sum it all up, I believe in life, and that life itself is the only true miracle.

In my short 16 years, I have never been much of a religious person, but have certainly always been spiritual. How can my feelings on everything from food choice to abortion, to the very existence of God fit into the 5 cookie-cutter patterns that are the major religions? I prefer the more pro-active approach of attempting to figure it out myself. Through my hours of nighttime musing, I have learned one major thing- I’m here, and I’m glad.

The second most important thing I’ve learned is that there are some things I don’t know and probably never will. The only people who know beyond a doubt what happens after death can’t exactly share their stories. Therefore, it is all the more sensible that I rejoice over the time I have been so mysteriously given. I try to apply this basic theory in all aspects of my life, to take the good at face value and ignore the bad. Ignore the part of my brain whining about what birthday gifts I wasn’t given, and be thankful that I and those that care about me are alive and well at the end of another year.

Although I may not always practice what I preach, I am exerting all my effort to try to. I look around my room filled with useless junk I haven’t gotten rid of, either for sentimental reasons or shear laziness. My thoughts then go to the pictures of emaciated Africans and wonder why I am not sacrificing more for the good of others. Why can’t I be grateful for the fulfillment of my basic needs, and cast away all these unnecessary worldly possessions? Truth be told, American culture is awash with indulgence. It is hard to begin severing the materialistic ties. It is no easy task to adopt such a philosophy, in a “more is better” culture.

Despite these difficulties, I still like living with the idea that life is the greatest gift as my basic creed. Be it God, Allah, Jesus, or just fate, plain and simple, that has made me lucky enough to be here, I am ecstatic that I am. Everything about life is a miracle. It is simply amazing that everything has come together to make life possible. I feel that in knowing this, I can achieve the maximum amount of contentment and live a life filled with joy.