Trista - Skowhegan, Maine

Friendship: The Main Element

June 10, 2007. The Skowhegan Area High School gymnasium. Just under 200 graduates sit wearing their orange, black, and white caps and gowns, and soak in the moment: the end of the journey they started when they were in kindergarten. Snaps echo as parents take pictures every five seconds. Every eye of almost every graduate, parent, and teacher sparkles with tears as the graduates’ names are read.

In that moment, the graduates are all friends even if they aren’t close or downright hate each other. They are all friends because of all the car accidents, the idiotic drama, and the stress that they have endured. They were there to help each other through; they were there together. I believe that friendship is the only thing that helps a student get through high school and all its problems.

In second grade I met my best friend, Miss Desiree Strout. During recess both of us would run from the boys screaming, “You have cooties go away!” This statement is quite ironic now seeing how we both have boyfriends that we can‘t get enough of. Desiree and I have been through everything together. When my great grandmother was extremely ill my freshman year, Desiree was there when I needed her the most. (Her friendship alone helped me through my path into high school.) We have had boyfriend troubles, had bad grades on a report card at the same time, and through it all have survived emotionally, and mentally. Desiree and I have been through everything together. Her friendship helped me through high school and made me a better person.

Not only was Desiree there but my other best friend Miss Laurel Bushey was too. My parents split up the same time my great grandmother died, and Laurel did everything to keep my mind off these problems. When we hung out, all the drama and stress just faded away and we were beyond happy and stress-free. In the end it worked, and I was happy towards the end of freshman year.

The three of us have inside jokes that could go on for miles, and pictures that will outlast forever. Desiree, Laurel, and I have been through all the high school problems but our friendship has pulled us through. We are best friends and we will always remember how much of an impact we have had on each other lives through high school.

We are going on to college next year, but we will never forget those moments where, “You had to be there,” those times when we were laughing hysterically at something few would understand. All the memories of high school already play like a film with no sound in my mind. Every moment reminds me that without my friendships in high school I wouldn’t be who I’m today.