Joshua - Austin, Texas

After a weekend doing nothing but drum corps, I realized something. I believe in comfortable shoes.

Comfortable shoes allow the feet to stay unburdened; softly cushioning the soles of what could be tired and weary feet. A person with comfortable shoes can probably out produce someone who has pained feet. Comfortable shoes keep our foundation strong, and without them, we would stumble and eventually shatter.

And that’s exactly what feet are. They are our foundation. Like any foundation, we should protect them, as everything else is leaning on them. My foundation grants me mobility. My foundation grants me accessibility. Most of all, my foundation grants me freedom. I am free to run, walk, jump, skip, or strut anywhere I want, as long as my foundation is intact.

This topic evaded me for a while, giving my mind only blank sheets of white when I tried to contemplate it, but then I turned on one of my favorite sitcoms, Seinfeld. There was Jerry, running around the city with his trusty tennis shoes. And why did he do it? Because Bill Cosby did it. And Bill Cosby did it because it was comfortable.

One of the things I like about comfortable shoes is that they can be diverse as the people you meet everyday. Some are black, some brown, white or yellow. Some are studded or pierced or look just plain crazy, but as long as they’re doing their job, we shouldn’t judge. You shouldn’t judge based on appearances, you know.

But back to foundations. You must start building one foundation so you can build another foundation on top of it. I wear comfortable shoes so I can get around. Because I can get around, I can go to class, further my education. My education helps me achieve goals I didn’t think were possible. You see? One foundation building on top of another. Constantly, effortlessly, the cogs turn and interlock as flawlessly as our Earth turns around the sun.

I believe in comfortable shoes. Comfortable shoes can give me anything I need, when you think about it. It’s like the Six Degrees of Separation, but with my feet. I could be a great author one day, or maybe a strong politician, perhaps even the President. And it all started because I laced up my shoes.