Andrea - Harrah, Washington

I Believe………

I believe in the freedom of nondiscrimination among people of different races. Imagine if you could only hang out with people from your own ethnicity? Life would be boring, because by meeting someone from a different ethnic background you learn about their culture and their personality. I think it is very important not to judge people by their race, or by the color of their skin. It’s better to get to know a person before judging them.

Discrimination is a part of life, and it is something we have to deal with every day. One example would be when my dad Gerardo, first came to the United States, a few years ago. One day after work he went to the Red Apple store in Wapato, to cash his check; since my dad didn’t speak English, he asked the cashier in Spanish to cash his check. The lady got mad at my dad because he was speaking Spanish to her; she then told the manager that my dad was being rude to her. Five minutes later the manager from the store kicked my dad out and told him to never come back to the store again. Since my dad had only been in the United States for five months, he didn’t know of another place to cash his checks. One day he went with my uncle, Raul, to the Red Apple store again to cash his check. When the manager from the store saw my dad, he went up to him and apologized because he said that the lady had done the same thing again three times. The lady said the Mexicans were being rude to her, but the manager later found out that it wasn’t true; she would get mad when the people spoke to her in Spanish. The manager, who was really sorry, gave my dad a big basket full of fruit to apologize for the misunderstanding.

Before we disrespect, discriminate, or make fun of a disabled person, a person from a different race, or someone who speaks a different language. Think about how they feel by being discriminated, and how would you feel if you were the one who is being discriminated? By not getting a job because you were handicapped, by not being able to rent a house because of your race, or by kicking you out of a store because you don’t speak the same language as them.

We should take the opportunity to make this world a better place to live in peace and harmony, by treating every single person with respect. Because we all have a heart and feelings, and the most important think we all are equal.