Aidee - Harrah, Washington

I Believe…

I believe in equality. I believe in equality due to past events, including my own. It’s either being discriminated against your color or by your appearance. Rosa Parks was a victim of discrimination due to a bus driver judging her by the color of her skin. Martin Luther King Jr. stood up for what he believed in and protested that they be treated equally. Even I have been a part of discrimination, due to the fact that people judged me on my appearance and past experiences they experienced.

Rosa Parks was an African American living in a city with laws that strictly segregated blacks and whites. On December 1,1955 Parks refused to obey bus driver James Blake’s demand that she give up her seat for a white passenger. Later Parks was arrested and fined. Rosa was not the only African American to be arrested for this crime, but she was the first to be arrested who was well known in her community. Rosa took part in this tragedy due to the bus driver judging her by the color of her skin and not by who she was or what was her past.

The Montgomery bus boycott was a movement against racial segregation, which launched Martin Luther King into the public eye. King was one of the most famous leaders of the American Civil Rights Movement and one of the founders of the boycott. On the morning of December 5 the African American residents of the city refused to use the buses. Most walked and some even rode mules. Those with cars arranged rides for friends and strangers. Only a small number of African Americans rode the bus that evening. People would not let other people of different color bring them down. They would take action and stand up for their rights and not let other people judge them by their color or race.

Discrimination can happen to anyone at anytime. You may have also been part of discrimination as well. I know I have. I was eight months pregnant when I experimented it for myself when I walked into the Burlington coat factory in Tri-cities. I was shopping for some clothes when I realized the sales associate was watching my every move. I was getting tired of their leering and starring and started thinking, “What am I doing wrong that makes me suspicious?” I finally decided to ask the sales associate what the problem was. She responded, “Well we are sorry to bother you, but we just wanted to make sure you we not padding extra clothes under your blouse because we did have an incident like that in the past.” I replied, “ Just because it happened in the past and that I’m pregnant doesn’t mean I am doing the same thing as them.” I got appalled and decided to come back some other day.

Thus I believe in equality, due to discrimination taking part in our history and in our daily life. Some events that took part in discrimination made history and changed the lives on many African Americans and other events were just part of our daily life.