Nestor - harrah, Washington

Nigger, Beaner, Red Neck, Wetback, Loser, Fag, Old Gizzard and the list keeps growing. Name calling isn’t only reason why people discriminate against others. Discrimination is a big problem that exists through out the whole world. We all have been discriminated against at one time or another. Sometimes a person doesn’t realize that they are discriminating against someone. Discrimination is happening every day and I strongly believe we have to do some thing about it.

People discriminate against others for many reasons. Some examples are discrimination against color, race, or religion. People also discriminate against others because of how old a person is. In some countries, or even companies they refuse to hire a person above a certain age. They say younger people are more “dynamic” and create a positive image for their company. If your from a different country you also get discriminated against. People refuse to give you work and you have fewer rights.

One person that I really looked up to was Martin Luther King JR. He was the person that changed the lives of his people. Martin Luther King was the leader of the American Civil Rights Movement. He fought for the rights of his people that were being discriminated against. He did this by giving speeches about what he dreamed of. “I Have A Dream” was one of he’s speeches. He dreamed that one day his four little children would live in a nation where they would not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character etc. In the early 1960’s African American people were discriminated against; even in buses they were sent to the back of the bus, or when the bus was full they were to give their seat to a white person. An African American lady named Rosa Parks also thought that everybody should be treated equally. One day while she rode the bus she was tired and because of that, she refused to give her seat to a white person. Later she was arrested and trialed for the act of civil disobedience. That lead to the Montgomery Bus Boycott, one of the largest and most successful mass movements against racial segregation in US history.

Discrimination will be a problem that we will never get rid of. But we can prevent it by not taking part in discrimination. Even though it’s against the Federal law to discriminate someone it still happens. I have a dream that one day this country and the people in it will be free of discrimination.