Justin - Skowhega, Maine

This I believe. Poetry is one of the easiest ways to handle stress. At a young age I found poetry to be an escape route from the world. When words cannot be expressed to people or family, I find words on paper will relieve my stress.

Being seventeen years old, I have faced many challenges and decisions in life. I have found myself in trouble by not thinking ahead. Now, entering my adult life, I would love to go back and change the past. I would choose to do everything totally different because I regret most of my high school decisions. The summer of my senior year, I entered a correctional facility. While there I had a lot of free time and a lot on my mind. I was frustrated with the boredom and the depression killed my soul. I needed something to keep me occupied and get things off my mind at the same time. This is when I discovered the power of poetry. At first I started writing things off the top of my head just to take up time. After a couple of days, I found it to be very interesting and started putting different rhyme schemes together. I thought this was amazing because I could vent easily and get thoughts out of my mind making it fun at the same time. This kept me very interested and made the time easier to bear. The Power of poetry enables me to write things on my mind and leave it on the paper for complete privacy. Writing also prepares me for future decisions to make because poetry reminds me of what happened in the past. I summed up this philosophy in this one simple line. “Learn how to think ahead, so I fight with my pen.”

Four Months Later, I still write almost everyday. When I am down in the gutter or shining like the sun, I enjoy writing poetry. I feel like a new man when I just completed something and I really enjoy it. This works well for bad days because that one special poem will change your day. Respecting something you wrote or even another person is very important because that came from the heart. This feeling is spread around the world and anyone who writes feels the same way as me. Writing is a worldwide connection to escape from different experiences. Some write about love, and others write about death. Whatever genre you choose, poetry will ease the stress away for anyone. All you need is a little bit of practice, and poetry is just as easy as going to work. I look at poetry as a miracle on paper that can save anyone.