Courtney - canaan, Maine
Themes: sports

Teams Are Forever

At the age of seventeen, I have accomplished something that many other teenagers would never even dream of. I have won not only one state championship – but four. Four gold rings with little diamond stones in them. Beautiful. For four years I have swat my back end off to get to and win that state game. Did I forget to mention there have been nineteen other field helping me? Because I could not have done it with out them. They are my team. My team fights, argues, has temper tantrums. They back talk, throw stick, roll their eye, and even stomp feet. But in the end we all come together and work hard; we share one love, the game, and one goal, the championship. Deep sown somewhere under out jerseys, and out sweat, there is a heart. And in out hearts we all know we couldn’t have made it this far with out each other. That is why I believe in teams.

There are teams all around us. In hospitals surgical teams help save many. One person snips, one cuts, and on sucks stuff with the mini vacuum. One person, no matter how may years of schooling, cannot do this alone. All the cooperation helps prevent something tragic from happening to the unfortunate one lying on the operation table. Successful surgery really depends on teams.

Teams are also needed to save people in fires. The firefighters in the popular movie Ladder 49 were a team. They ate, slept, and saved lives together. Each firefighter had a critical role in the process of putting out fires and looking for trapped victims. There is not only one hero in these events; there are several. They all put forth great effort in their role and do it together. One firefighter could not do it with out the others. In the movie, Firehouse 49 gets an emergency call saying there is a family stuck inside of an apartment. Five people carry the hose while helping direct two other firefighters to where the gamily is trapped. In the end, the firefighters save every one of the members, but they wouldn’t have been able to do it with out each other.

War platoons are anther example. The lice together, bunk together, live in trenches together, and are willing to die together. They become like brother. When one man will jump in front of a bullet to save his partner, they are a true team. In the bigger picture, every platoon works together to protect and represent their homeland.

High school sport teams, surgical teams, platoons fighting for out country—teams surround us. They stick together, just like my field hockey squad, and succeed together. I agree with Barbra Mancuso who said, “Win together, lose together, play together, stay together.” It’s hard to get places or survive in life alone. I prefer to have a team to turn to for help, whether it is one other person or twenty. Even though I will never again run with my same teams for high school field hockey, I will always want to e a part of a team.